What are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are highly concentrated liquid extracts of plant matter that have been used by cultures medicinally and ritually throughout history. Historically, Egyptians, Romans, and Greeks infused and distilled these plants for use in medicine, cosmetics, embalming, and perfumes. Today, essential oils are sold for uses in cooking, health, beauty, and cleaning. There are hundreds of oil options on the market to choose from. There are countless uses for essential oils. Research and discover how they can best help you. As they say, “There’s an oil for that!”
What can essential oils do for me?
- Reduce anxiety and worry
- Promote sound sleep
- Support healing in the body by stimulating circulation
- Aid muscle and tissue repair
- Treat certain respiratory conditions
- Encourage alertness, concentration and high energy
- Relieve nausea and upset stomach
- Give your immunity a boost
- So, so much more!
How you use your oils will depend on what oil you are using and what benefit you are trying to achieve:
Add a few drops of your essential oil to a fragrance free lotion or carrier oil like avocado, coconut, or jojoba to apply to skin.
- Add a few drops of lavender to a carrier oil and apply topically to heal scrapes, paper cuts, scars, bug bites, minor burns, and sore muscles or joints
- Mix a thieves oil blend and tea tree with witch hazel to make hand and surface sanitizer, or light household cleaner
- Apply wintergreen diluted with carrier oil to scalp to alleviate headaches, or to sore muscles and joints to increase circulation and relieve pain
- Ask your therapist to add essential oils to your massage, we’ll add it to your lotion to be absorbed directly into your skin. At Niasoma, you keep any leftover lotion to use between sessions
Before digesting any essential oil, do your research and make sure it’s safe for ingestion. Some oils can be very toxic in concentration. Only ingest high end, therapeutic oils. If used in water, be sure to use a glass container as essential oils are strong and can eat away at plastics.
- Peppermint, ginger, and chamomile added to a glass of water or cup of tea can help with heartburn, upset stomach, and nausea
- Add drops of lemon or tangerine to your water for a flavorful energy boost
Diffusers break oils down into micro molecules, and send them as mist into the air. You can also inhale from the bottle, or rub into your hands and inhale by cupping your hands over your nose.
- Place a few drops of frankincense on a small cloth or cotton ball and bring near your nose before meditating to enhance your session
- Diffusing necklaces keep your therapeutic oils close all day. Black Pepper can help you quit smoking cigarettes
- Add lavender and lemon or peppermint to your massage for deep relaxation
- Cedarwood spread on your pillow at night encourages melatonin production for better sleep habits
What essential oils can I add to my massage at Niasoma Bodywork?
We currently offer 6 essential oils that you can use singularly, or blend two or three. Here are the oils we offer, and a few of our favorite blends. Tell us your favorite oils for home that you would like to see offered in our studio.
- Lavender encourages complete relaxation and stress relief, is anti-inflammatory, and relieves muscle and joint pain
- Tangerine restores energy, alleviates anxiety, is antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, and boosts immunity
- Lemon lifts mood, supports immunity, relieves nausea
- Lemongrass boosts digestive health, increases circulation, soothes sore muscles and joints, and aids in repairing connective tissues
- Peppermint encourages energy, focus, and stress relief while easing sore muscles and joints, and helps to settle digestion
- Eucalyptus encourages energy and focus, it’s also helpful in treating respiratory conditions
- Blend eucalyptus, peppermint & lemongrass for ultimate sore muscle relief. Ask for this blend if you’ve recently increased your exercise. Effective for post marathon or competition recovery. Use between arthritis flare ups to keep them at bay. This blend is also helpful with sinus pressure and pain.
- Blend lavender & peppermint to inspire deep relaxation and stress relief. This blend soothes your mind and body, and helps you feel calm and focused.
- Blend lavender, peppermint & lemon to reduce symptoms of allergies, and create a relaxing and uplifting atmosphere.
- Blend tangerine & eucalyptus to get a boost of energy to perform your best. Great for pre-marathon or competition, or if your massage is during morning hours.